There’s nothing wrong with the good old dinner and a movie date but active dates are an awesome way to have a tonne of fun while making being active part of your everyday routine. Surprise him or her on a first date or break the boredom with one of these fun active date ideas. There’s fun and unique date options that are free, great for summer, rainy days and wintry weather. Don’t just take your partner, active dates are a great way to catch up with friends too!
Free Active Date Ideas
- Hiking – There’s something special about getting out in nature, switching off your phone and just spending time with your loved ones. And the best thing about hiking is that it’s free and flexible. Check out your local trails and pick one that’s right for your fitness level and time frame. You could even try an overnight hike for a romantic campfire and night under the stars.
- Biking – Take a cruisy ride together to your local coffee shop or challenge yourselves with a mountain biking trail. Cycling is great for any fitness level. Commit to date mode full on by riding a tandem bike together!
- Running – Although it might be a bit boring as a first date, running is a great way to stay fit and spend some quality time together. Jog your regular neighborhood block, train for a marathon or explore off-road trails together.
- Walking the dog – Grab a coffee to go and take the dogs for a walk. No dog? No problem, dog shelters often look for volunteer dog walkers. Simply give them a call to organize your walk beforehand. You might even end up with a new family member!
- Roller skating – Take a trip down memory lane by taking your date roller skating! There might be an indoor skating rink in your city, otherwise, buy yourselves a pair and head on outside.
Outdoor Date Ideas
- Mud Run – Use this fitness challenge to develop your teamwork while getting down and dirty. Mud runs aren’t so much about winning and more about the fun.
- Paintballing – If you’re the kind of couple who enjoys shooting each other, try paintball! Or, team up and take on another couple for a mental and physical challenge. Expect bruising though!
- Tennis – Challenge your date to a friendly game of tennis or partner up and make it a double date.
- Ropes course – Search online for a ropes course center near you and gear up for a fun afternoon of tightropes, flying foxes and other obstacles. Ropes courses range from beginner levels to challenging so choose a level that suits but be sure to check that your date isn’t afraid of heights before choosing this active date option!
- Mini golf – It’s a classic date for a good reason, mini golf is a fun activity that will add a bit of friendly competition to your relationship.
- Rock climbing – Climb a mountain together or a fake wall at your local rock climbing center for an active date that will take your relationship to new heights.
Summer Active Date Ideas
- Snorkeling– Hit the water for a relaxing day of floating around snorkeling watching the underwater world. Don’t forget to take a waterproof camera to snap some pictures of your date wearing that sexy snorkeling mask!
- Tubing – Buy or rent an inner tube and float down a (safe!) river or get towed behind a boat on a lake.
- Stand-up paddle boarding – Whether you live near a river, lake or the sea, paddle boarding is a fun and relaxing active date that will work your entire body. Paddle along beside each other or go exploring on a larger two-person board.
- Kayaking – Rent or buy a kayak and cruise down a river, kayak to an island or try catching some waves. Choose a double kayak for a fun teamwork building activity.
Indoor Active Date Ideas
Don’t let bad weather stop you from enjoying your date! These indoor active date ideas so much fun you won’t mind that it’s raining.
- Dancing – Dancing burns serious calories and can be lots of fun regardless of how coordinated you are! Choose a type that interests you both and hit the dance floor for a lesson together. Try traditional ballroom, Latin, line dancing or even hip hop.
- Indoor rock climbing – Whether you and your partner are beginners or well-practiced climbers, indoor rock climbing gyms usually have something to challenge all skill levels. Harness up and hit the walls.
- Partner workout – Couples who work out together stay together, right? Get sweaty together by working as a team to challenge your fitness with one of these partner workouts.
- Bowling – Hit your local bowling alley for a fun night with bumper bars, neon lights and some good tunes.
- Yoga – For a relaxing but active date, why not do some yoga together? Head to a studio near you or follow along to a DVD at home.
- Wii Sports – If you don’t want to leave the comfort of your home, turn on the tv for some Wii Sport action. With lots of games to choose from you’ll probably get tired before you get bored.
- Trampolining – Jump, flip and show off doing tricks with your date at a trampoline park. It’s heaps of fun and will have you puffing and smiling in no time.
Winter Active Date Ideas
As well as choosing from the indoor date ideas mentioned above, rugging up and heading out into the snow for a unique winter date can be totally romantic.
- Ice Skating – There’s a reason ice skating is featured in so many romance movies! Rug up and give your legs a workout while laughing at each others lack of coordination. Bonus points for going to an outdoor ice skating rink.
- Snow tubing – Grab a snow tube and hit the slopes for some sledding or tobogganing fun on date day.
- Snowshoeing – Enjoy hiking but it’s snowing outside? Grab yourself and your date some snowshoes and head out for some snowshoeing fun. Pack a flask of hot chocolate and find somewhere romantic to stop off for a warm drink.
- Skiing or snowboarding – Whether you’re an experienced skier or not, hit the slopes with your date for some fresh-aired snowy fun. Don’t forget to hit the spa after to relax and rest those muscles.
Which of these active date ideas could you plan for this weekend? I’d love to hear so leave your comments below!